Reflecting on Practice
Reflecting on Practice is a professional learning program for educators teaching science in informal environments. The program immerses practitioners in research on learning and teaching and engages them in habits of reflecting on their practice. Partner institutions that field tested the program in 2010 include:
- Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, CA
- Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, IL
- Explorit Science Center in Davis, CA
- Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, OR
- Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena, CA
- Liberty Science Center in Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ
- Imagination Station Science Museum in Wilson, NC
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland, OR
Development of the Reflecting on Practice program was funded by the National Science Foundation for Communicating Ocean Sciences to Informal Audiences, Grant # ESI-0540417.
Field testing of the Reflecting on Practice program was funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services, 21st Century Museum Professionals for Museum Educators Reflecting on Practice (21MP 2009) and National Science Foundation, Informal Science Education for Communicating Ocean Sciences to Informal Educators Network (DRL 0917614).