Summer Science & Literacy Academy
MARE will bring a three- to four-week summer science and literacy academy to your district that includes high quality professional development for teachers and engaging inquiry-based science summer school for your students.
What’s it about?
The Summer Science & Literacy Academy focuses on using inquiry-based science teaching to help students deepen their understanding of important science concepts and the relationship between science and literacy. The Academy addresses several key questions of importance to teachers.
- What does it mean to teach science through inquiry?
- How can we incorporate inquiry effectively into the curriculum?
- How can we strategically integrate science, literacy, and discussion in ways that foster critical thinking, academic language, and meaning-making?
What happens during the Summer Science & Literacy Academy?
The Academy is a highly successful, two-phase model. This approach is based on research that shows that teachers are most likely to make changes to their practice when they
- are given the opportunity to try new teaching methods while receiving the support of coaches and peers; and
- are given time to reflect on these practices.
The first phase is a five-day professional development institute in which teachers:
- participate in hands-on science activities
- engage in discussion around science concepts & teaching approaches
- explore ideas about the integration of science, literacy, and discourse
- learn practical strategies for inquiry-based science teaching and discussion & literacy integration to promote critical thinking and deepen conceptual understanding of science concepts.
The second phase is a two-week practicum in which teachers:
- explore ideas from the institute in the context of actual teaching practice
- co-teach an inquiry-based ocean sciences curriculum
- facilitate rich, student-centered discussions and activities
- spend 3 hours each day teaching middle school students—part of this time co-teaching with colleagues, and part of it independently leading a small group discussion
- actively participate in one ocean sciences related field trip
- receive supportive feedback from science and/or literacy coaches as you teach and explore your own questions
- reflect on teaching practice by observing and discussing video clips of your and other teachers’ whole-group science lessons and small-group discussion.
Who is it for?
MARE will tailor this Academy for your school or district. Contact us for information on bringing this powerful model to your site!
To learn more about Summer Science & Literacy Academies completed at two California School Districts, see the Science and Literacy Integration through Professional Development Academies page.
Probably the most constructive PD I’ve ever had!
—Bev, Academy 2009
It was a great reflective opportunity—a chance to work with colleagues on challenging curriculum. It was an awesome concept-building experience. I’m deeply grateful.
—Linda, Academy 2009
Asking more questions than I answered was a great reminder that I do not have to be the fountain of all knowledge.
—Terry, Academy 2009