Live from Scripps
Renowned explorer and filmmaker donates lander system that played key role in record-setting expedition and will be used by Scripps researchers as part of the next age of deep-sea exploration
Scripps, NOAA measurements cross threshold in same 24-hour period
Aquarium naturalists will guide participants on this moonlit adventure
Topics feature space flight and shark conservation
Seven Scripps researchers among contributors to analysis of region's climate future
K-12 Professional Development Workshops & Offerings
MARE offers a range of professional development for K-12 districts, schools, and teachers. Choose from one of our professional development programs or work with us to create a customized experience tailored for your school or district.
Professional development to support MARE Ocean Immersion
To maximize the effectiveness of your MARE Ocean Immersion, we offer:
- Habitat workshops—These one-day workshops are designed for teachers of the same grade levels to learn more about their specific habitat, see model lessons, and plan for their MARE unit.
- In-class modeling—MARE staff will come to your school and model MARE lessons with your class during the Ocean Immersion.
- Whole-school inservices—These will support teachers with inquiry-based teaching approaches, questioning strategies, understanding and teaching the nature of science, and integrating literacy and science.
- MARE Summer Leadership Institute—The MARE Summer Leadership Institute will prepare teachers, coaches, and administrators to lead an Ocean Immersion at their site.
- Consulting, Scheduling, & Planning—MARE staff meet with teachers in grade level teams to help schedule and plan a school’s Ocean Immersion.
Teacher Workshops on Inquiry-Based Science
We know teachers want to teach high-quality inquiry-based science, but often don’t feel like they have the support, materials, or time to do it. Let MARE help you! We offer half-day, day-long, and multi-day teacher workshops about:
- Implementing open-ended inquiry in the classroom
- Making meaning in science through discussion and text
- Nature of science
- The learning cycle and how we teach
- Questioning strategies
- Effectively leading field trips and integrating field experiences with classroom curricula.
MARE year-round coaching, modeling, and workshop series
Research tells us that it takes time for teachers to make changes and improve their practice. MARE has developed a new professional development model designed to address this challenge. We will work with your school or district throughout the year in a cycle that includes:
- Whole-staff inservices
- Model lessons
- Lesson observations
- Planning support
- Reflective learning conversations around teaching videos.
“I can use everything. I can’t say that about other workshops I’ve taken. I’m looking forward to beginning right away."
—Teacher, Coos Bay, Oregon