Scientists and Universities
MARE has a number of programs and projects designed to help scientists like you share your knowledge and skills with the public and K-12 classrooms, to provide mechanisms to address your education and public outreach needs, and to share the broader impact of your research. Some opportunities include:
- get involved with the Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE) to connect with other ocean scientists and educators to promote ocean literacy nationwide
- teach the Communicating Ocean Sciences courses to engage undergraduate and graduate students in education/outreach
- work on the Ocean Literacy Campaign to ensure that K-12 science standards include the essential principles and concepts of ocean sciences
COSEE : Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence
The goal of COSEE is to connect ocean scientists and educators to promote ocean literacy nationwide. COSEE California develops tools, programs, and courses that are in widespread use throughout the National COSEE Network. With 12 Centers and a Central Coordinating Office located throughout the US, each Center is a consortium of one or more ocean science research institutions, informal science education organizations, and formal education entities. The COSEE program is funded primarily by the National Science Foundation with support from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In addition to the work by our Centers, we engage in Network-level activities such as Scientist-Educator Partnerships, Ocean Literacy, and promoting Ocean Careers.
- Learn about professional development
offerings for scientists.
- Use Education and Public Outreach:
A Guide for Scientists (PDF, 1.97 MB), to learn about ways to engage in education and public outreach (EPO) activities, improve your Broader Impact statement, find partners, and help you communicate more effectively with the public.
[See examples of broader impact statements (Word, 67 KB) for research proposals.]
Contact us if you would like help designing a Broader Impact statement for inclusion in a proposal. Some options include:
- develop activities/curriculum focused on your area of research;
- participate in the ocean literacy campaign; and/or
- involve informal institutions and schools in your outreach efforts.