Ocean Literacy Campaign
Ocean Literacy is the understanding of the ocean’s influence on you and your influence on the ocean.
An ocean literate person:
- understands the essential principles and fundamental concepts
- can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way
- is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources.
MARE has been a leader in the Ocean Literacy Campaign, a national collaborative effort by scientists and educators to build a more ocean literate society.
- Know the essential principles and fundamental concepts everyone should understand about the ocean.
- Get resources for promoting ocean literacy among students.
- Find out about how to use MARE professional development and curriculum to promote ocean literacy.
- Scientists, educators, concerned citizens — Go to the Ocean Literacy website to learn more about the Campaign and how to get involved.