Ocean Literacy Principles
Ocean Literacy: The Essential Principles of Ocean Sciences K-12 was published as a brochure. To acquire the print version:
- Download the PDF version of the full brochure.
- Request copies of the published brochure from the NOAA Outreach Unit. The brochure is free to educators. Write to Jeannine Montgomery.
The Scope and Sequence
The Ocean Literacy Scope and Sequence for Grades K-12 was published in 2010 in the NMEA Special Report on the Ocean Literacy Campaign. To acquire the print version:
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the Special Report.
- Download individual articles and the Scope and Sequence in PDF (see list below).
- Introduction. Craig Strang and Lynn Uyen Tran
- From the Principles to the Scope and Sequence: A Brief History of the Ocean Literacy Campaign. Sarah Schoedinger, Lynn Uyen Tran, and Lynn Whitley
- Scientist and Educator Partnerships and Ocean Literacy: Creating a New Community of Practice. Catherine Halversen and Lynn Uyen Tran
- Research on Learning and Teaching Ocean and Aquatic Sciences. Lynn Uyen Tran, Diana L. Payne, and Lynn Whitley
- Developing the Ideas of Ocean Literacy Using Conceptual Flow Diagrams. Craig Strang, Kathy DiRanna, and Jo Topps
- About the Contributors and Credits.
Scope & Sequence and supplementary materials
- Index of concepts from the Scope and Sequence
- How to Use the Ocean Literacy Alignment Matrix
- Introduction to Conceptual Flow Diagrams: Ocean Literacy Scope and Sequence
- Conceptual Flow Diagrams: Grades K–2
- Conceptual Flow Diagrams: Grades 3–5
- Conceptual Flow Diagrams: Grades 6–8
- Conceptual Flow Diagrams: Grades 9–12